Mexican Chicken Salad | ChopChop
This salad is inspired by some of our favorite Mexican flavor combinations: avocado and lime, corn and tomato. Even though we call this a chicken salad, you can actually skip the chicken and substitute a can of black beans (drained and rinsed) to make a very delicious—and very different—salad.
2 forks, for shredding chicken
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Spoon, for mixing
- Put all the ingredients in the bowl and mix gently.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 hours.
* The chicken can be roasted, poached or grilled—or use a rotisserie chicken from the supermarket. To shred, use your hands, or two forks, to pull the meat apart in opposite directions.
Add any or all of the following:
- 1⁄2 cup crumbled queso fresco or feta cheese or grated cheddar or Monterey Jack cheese
- 1⁄2 cup chopped bell pepper (any color is fine)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro leaves
- 1 cup cooked or canned black beans, drained and rinsed with cold water
- 2 tablespoons fresh or pickled jalapeño pepper slices
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cumin