Summer Squash Sauté | ChopChop
As summer comes to an end, use the last of the season’s squash to make this great dish: green zucchini, golden zucchini, yellow, pattypan, or crookneck squash all work well. This is a dish that can be served hot or cold, by itself or on pasta, rice, Mashed Cauliflower, or eggs (fried, poached, or scrambled).
Sharp knife (adult needed)
Skillet with lid
Wooden spoon or heatproof spatula
- Put the skillet on the stove and turn the heat to medium. When the skillet is hot, carefully add the oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and cook, stirring occasionally, until lightly browned, 7 to 10 minutes.
- Add the summer squash, oregano, and salt, and cook, partially covered, until the squash is lightly browned and very juicy looking, about 20 minutes. Stir occasionally.
- Add the tomatoes and water, and cook, partially covered, until the squash is very tender but not falling apart, about 20 minutes.
- Add the fresh basil and Parmesan (if you like) and serve right away, or cover and refrigerate up to 2 days.